On Persuasion
By Andrew Talidong
According to Han Feizi (c. 280 - 233 BCE), the best way to get people on your side is to speak in their favor. Try to hide your intentions, speak like you favor their ineterests...
Oh wait–isnt that what's the Democrats and Republicans doing with their American voters? Even here in the Philippines, BBM and his lot try to persuade others to the point of emotional manipulation. Latching on every opportunity to make the Dutertes as bad as possible.
That is politics. Persuade idiotic voters as much as possible.
Reading the whole chapter where this came from, Section 12 of "Han Feizi", he wrote the art of persuasion as if it is a survival guidebook for officials, with passages such as:
"The important thing in persuasion is to learn how to play up the aspects that the person you are talking to is proud of, and play down the aspects he is ashamed of."
In governance he says:
"If you wish to urge a policy of peaceful coexistence, then be sure to expound it in terms of lofty ideals, but also hint that it is commensurate with the ruler’s personal interests."
"... hint that it is commensurate with the ruler’s personal interests." American academics and activists have been begging for the US government, lobbying businesses, etc. under the delusion of support for their cause (i.e. climate change). They tried persuading them with data, convincing them that by supporting them, they're giving the people a favor, convincing them of what good reputations their cause may bring (if they actually did them).
Does their persuasion led to somewhere? The only results I could think of are criticisms, further marginalization, and bare minimum actions.
"If you wish to warn the ruler against dangerous and injurious policies, then make a show of the fact that they invite reproach and moral censure, but also hint that they are inimical to his personal interests."
If I were you, I would tell him straight to the face that his policies are dangerous and injurious.
"If you are able to fulfill long years of service with the ruler, enjoy his fullest favor and confidence, lay long-range plans for him without ever arousing suspicion, and when necessary oppose him in argument without incurring blame, then you may achieve merit by making clear to him what is profitable and what is harmful, and bring glory to yourself by your forthright judgements of right and wrong. When ruler and minister aid and sustain each other in this way, persuasion may be said to have reached its fulfillment."
I am a man who is ideologically motivated to fight for what I think is right. I hate whenever politicians use the art of persuasion. If I speak to the leader of my country, BBM, boss, or even people that had done me ill, I will speak authentically and honestly. I will say: "I am dissatisfied! Do better." No need for persuasion, no need for flowery words and praise. No need to hide and be a coward. Put me to death for all I care.
For Han Feizi, persuasion can be used for good governance and calling that as its "fulfilment". To me, persuasion is a tool that is successfully used by dirty people. If persuasion can indeed be used for good, then, I would consider it a "miracle".