Laozi and genuine learning

By Andrew Talidong

"知者不博,博者不知。

[Those who truly know are not widely learned; those who are widely learned do not truly know.]"

- Laozi, Tao Te Ching Chapter 81


The quote distinguish two terms: "truly know" means the embodied understanding of knowledge through practice and insight, while a "learned" person is someone who has accumulated a lot of information through study and reading. 

A simple way to read it is:
"widely learned" = knows many things, has read a lot.
"truly know" = understands the underlying truth or way of things

This passage from Chapter 81 of the Tao Te Ching contrasts two ways of engaging with knowledge. 

"知者不博 (zhī zhě bù bó) 

[Those who truly know are not widely learned.]" 

Those who mastered a particular craft, skill, or knowledge are not necessarily those who might we considered as "learned". Basing from this passage, people "who truly know" doesn’t need vast, scattered information. In a sense, deep understanding often comes from clarity, intuition, and direct experience.

"博者不知 (bó zhě bù zhī) 

[Those who are widely learned do not truly know.]"

Here, Laozi explains that people who are considered "learned" or those who "learn" from studying in school and reading books may not necessarily mean they "truly know" that particular knowledge or skill they read or heard. I'm not saying that Laozi disliked schooling in any shape or form, I'm stating that he is contrasting surface-level knowledge with deeper understanding so to him, being "learned" may not be necessarily "wise". 

To give an example or some sort of application, let's say that a person might know many theories about on how to be calm, but still react angrily in daily life. Another person may know fewer theories, yet remain steady and clear under pressure. For Laozi, the second person is the one who had genuine knowing about calmness.

This particular passage from the Tao Te Ching, aside from a quote by Xunzi, helps me reflect on my attitude towards learning. In my everyday life, I always try to get as much information from a book. However, Laozi tells me that mere reading of books isn't going to get me anywhere. 

For instance when I got to read a book on how to communicate effectively, I remember taking notes, highlighting phrases and sentences. Did I became an effective communicator? No. In fact, I still struggled and I still kept quiet during conversations. The passage, to be honest, opened my eyes. I cannot become a good communicator if all I do is read books and take notes. Instead, I need to "man up" and start talking to people. Being a "learned" man is good, but having a deep understanding and applying what I read are best.

Facts can fill the mind, but wisdom shapes the character.


Popular posts from this blog

A reflection on a quote by Xunzi

40 Tang Poems in Simple English and Simple Tagalog for Children